Birthday Boys
It was a full Birthday weekend and we had a lot of fun. My parents (Grandma Liz and Grandpa Steve) were able to come and celebrate with us, and since Grandma Sandy was able to come for Weston's birthday it was just worked out great!
John had been home sick all week with strep throat and was finally starting to feel a little better by Friday when my parents came so Saturday was spent true Howell style, doing yard work. We bought 2 more rose plants and after weeding got those planted in time to start the menu for the Birthdays.
Tyler requested Hot dogs and John thought Hamburgers would be a fun dinner so we had our Memorial day BBQ on Saturday night with a yummy pasta salad, good friends and family. Both boys got their own cake. John's was a white cake with lemon filling between the layers and a coconut marshmallow frosting on the outside. I must say it looked better in the picture than it tasted, but the lemon was exceptional! Tyler got a chocolate cake which was incredible if I do say so myself! I altered a Cake Dr. Recipe I had been given and I think it turned out much better. It was fudgy and rich, almost too rich, with a cream cheese frosting - very yummy!(John did the candles... 4 sets of 4 candles each... that's the numbers guy for you!)
But even with the various choices in cake and icecream to boot. We still had to de-cookie an ice-cream sandwhich for Elayna since she does not like chocolate or cake! And Tyler took a few nibbles and didn't touch the rest of his cake. Though that may have been because he was distracted by the cars on the top!(dissecting the ice cream sandwhich for Elayna - no chocolate!!!!)
Weston had a few hard times since he was not getting the new and shinny, but he didn't let anyone know it. We just luckily caught a few expressions on the camera! Overall though, there were no melt-downs and it was almost anti-climactic. We had decided to get Tyler a DS for his birthday as well as Weston so that our trip to Utah this summer would be a lot less emotional. And even though he didn't know what he was getting - he sure thought he did so yes, he loved his DS but he definatly didn't act that way when he opened it.
John turned 30 and I know that isn't very old, but it sure seems to be that we are both heading more quickly to middle-age life everyday! John was surprised by his present - a new mountain bike, and I might still be in trouble for getting him that. But in my defense I'd rather spend a little more and get something I know he wants and will use, then spend a lot of money (though it would have been less than the bike) and get something that would just end up being forgotten on a shelf.
And as much trouble as John says I'm in, he sure enjoys the bike and had fun testing it out! Elayna was so sad thinking she was being left behind, she always wants to be on the go. Luckily for her - her automatic padded butt shorts gave her a little cushioning for her ride with John.
Overall it was a great day! For the kids - the whole day was spent playing. The yard work is really just digging in the dirt and the boys love that. And while we did food prep and present wrapping the boys played in the swimming pool (60 degrees) and loved it. Laynie put herself down for a nap and then had a blast playing in the pool fully clothed, until we took her out so we could do cake and ice cream. For John and I we had a great day relaxing and being able to go run to the bike store for Tyler's kick stand, while my parents watched the kids. It was wonderful!
how fun what a good party! I hope I get to see the fam soon, I am still wanting to come up in June or next week!