Our New Abode

Well, we are again settling into a new rental after our initial move to Ohio last August. Moving again after only 9 months seemed a little soon especially since we've had to switch schools and school districts, but luckily we are in the same ward. We'll see how the schools are with the start of the new school year at the end of August.  BUT - back on track -  we found this rental for such an amazing price that we could hardly pass it up and really we are only here for 3 more years, we can do most anything for 3 years. Though I admit, at times I do feel like we're moving backwards and I get serious house envy whenever we see others our age getting nice homes... But for the price, and for our situation - this will be perfect for us! And the price is so low, that even if we find something less we probably would be too scared to move into it - and it's hard to pay more when this works. So I'm guessing we are set for the next 3 years!  Ya - no moving for a while!

I started counting though, after realizing again how much work moving really is and found that we had actually moved 4 times in the last 13 months.  That's 5 houses (counting our beloved red house, but not counting the week we were in Blaine with my parents), that we lived at long enough to receive mail. John then started counting and in our 9 years of marriage we have lived in 9 houses, living there long enough to get mail. This is not counting the move to Ed and Sandy's house that we moved all our stuff in and lived a week, and did get mail I believe, and then moved it all out again because they sold their house.  And we have owned and sold 5 cars, but are holding on to our 6th for as long as it will work.We feel like we've been around the block a few times!

Anyway - here is our new place in all it's glory. It is an old 1920's duplex. I think it was originally a duplex too, and not retrofitted.  The area is fun with a lot going on and lots of energy. We are "in the city" sort of. But not downtown commercial Columbus area.  We are about 2 miles north of campus which works great. And now living among a lot of other students and University people!

And don't judge too harshly, we've literally only lived in the house a week. And when you understand how little storage there is, you'll understand why it's taken so long and why it still looks like we have stacks on all the shelves!   Oh - and we were asked not to hang very many pictures. So we have a few we'll hang up, but we are waiting to see exactly where so we don't make too many holes in the walls!


Street view from Google maps. We are the right side of the beige house - behind the tree.

 looking at the front porch... sorry I didn't show you the 5 steep stairs I'm standing on - talk about thigh muscles!

From the front door looking at the stairs on the left, and our foilage border on the right - covering the view of the sidewalk.
Looking over the foilage at the stairs going down to the street and our car!  We usually park there or around the corner on another street. We have an alley, but our cars size makes it awkward with the garbage cans and anyone else who would want to drive through the alley!

View from the front door looking through to the kitchen on left and stairs on right.

Looking back to front door and our 'office' and 'music room'!  Love that we are using the hutch for the desk as a keyboard table!  We've had the keyboard (thanks to Alexander and Angela) for a few years, but haven't had a stand for it!  Now we do - and a little less clutter on the desk for the same price!
 
Looking back to the front door and the living room.






Looking from the kitchen entry back through to see our play room or "preschool area" as John likes to call it! Lov'n the big plaid rug left by the previous tenants!

Other side of the play room, oh and most likely my exercise room/gym as well!  You can see the hallway to the kitchen. 
 
This is the closet in the hallway to the kitchen - the one and only storage closet in the house. Hence - our game closet and coat closet and vacuum, apron, bike stuff and table leaf storage closet! I would have put more in, but nothing else fit!


 
Looking into the kitchen at the biggest kitchen I've had for 9 months!  And I LOVE the light! We need to figure out something else for our storage because I need my gorilla shelf downstairs - but for now it's working!
 
Our backyard! Yes, this is all of it - and past the gate on the right - is the alley. Our play set was left, and for now we're keeping it - just so the kids think they have toys outside and something to do!

  
Back to the kitchen - looking at the dining room - and the uneaten lunches for Tyler and Elayna!


Looking at the kitchen which has better storage than my last kitchen too - and a huge fridge which we are loving!!! And like our fridge we left in Sequim, with a bottom freezer.  Oh - and just right of the microwave - our laundry shute! 


Back to the hallway to the kitchen - opposit of our storage closet - this leads to the basement. Turning on the right down another 7 steps or so - where I was lucky enough to break my toe - or something like it, the first day in the house!!  Love the memories and black toes - I should have taken a picture. It was gross!
 
Our basement storage, and tool bench in a scary and even more moldy room behind the red curtain!


My pantry!

Laundry with our newly acquaired washer and dryer. Twice to the laundry mat, and getting a washer and dryer was a new top priority!  The freezer on the far left, with the blue laundry basket to catch everything from the laundry shute. Our dryer - folding table. And opposite is the washer in the middle with a single cabinet on the left and a sink on the right! Weird - but it will work!


Back upstairs - this is looking from the stair landing, down to the play room


Looking Upstairs and you can see the boys door on the top right.

Boys room looking from the door.






Looking from opposite corner back at the closet.

Their closet looking from the bed - yup - that's it!
Looking from the closet. You can see the door on the left. And the 2nd and most popular laundry shute between the picture and the dresser!  Selling point for the kids I must say!
Looking from the boys doorway down the hall. First door  on left, bathroom, second - Elayna's room. And our room at the end.
Bathroom

Bathroom storage across from shower. The bathtub is awesome, it's huge - I could even take a bath in it.... if we could get it to plug!

Elayna's room - looking in towards the closet - which is about 2 times as big as the boys so I have my clothes in there and share her dresser (newly acquired from someone elses purging) You'll understand why when you see the 'Master closet"

  Looking back towards the door and the new dresser!  
 
And Elayna's bed, just because I'm still so proud of myself for making that blanket and hand stitching it!  We miss the size of a twin for her playspace issues. But when ever any wants to visit - you'll get this lovely full size bed and pink princess room for your privacy! I'll get a bigger blanket for you - this one doesn't fit so well on the full size.
 
Master bedroom.  We put in the blinds... Love them!  They look great without the funny lighting - match-stick type roller shades!

Looking back to the door - and opposite the open door is the closet. Which you see below - and Yes. That is the entire closet! It fits John clothes barely! our winter stuff in the little plastic drawers and John gets the dresser too. Good think we don't have a lot of clothes.




 And that is it! Really - you've seen everything.  So we are planning to use some of our saved rent money and get a few more chairs and a smaller table and better storage for our office and kitchen.  I guess we'll see what it becomes. But we love the light, we love the price and I guess it just gives us a really good reason to purge a little more - so we can fit better!






lisa h.  – (7:13 PM)  

it looks great! i will try and call you tomorrow....seems like i never get a break from the kids to pick up the phone.

Bethany  – (12:01 PM)  

I am impressed! Almost makes me want to downsize so I have motivation to go through our junk :). It looks really cute, and I am excited that you have more reasonable rent. Hope you enjoy it!

Brenda  – (9:25 PM)  

You are just going to have to use Command hooks so that you can hang up what ever pictures you want!:)
Pictures will make it more like home! but I like it, Now all I need is for you to come visit and help me downsize and redecorate ;). Miss you guys and love you!

Katrina  – (9:27 PM)  

So glad to see you posting again! You are amazing! Don't be jealous for one second of anyone else's house! We built this wonderful house that we've lived in for 4 years now, and I have yet to do a thing with it! I wish I had your talent for making anything feel like home. Also, I sent you a birth announcement, but I sent it to your old address so you probably won't get it. Know that I was thinking about you though!

Ali Howell  – (1:47 PM)  

It,s cute!! It certainly has character. I think you guys made a great choice. Looking forward to taking to you again soon. I'm glad you at least look settled!

Kaylene  – (8:38 PM)  

What a cute house! We too have had lots of changes recently--including moving twice in 2 months, new baby, etc.--so I feel your pain!

Melissa Calder  – (6:00 PM)  

Love it! Especially the price! Loved talking with you yesterday :)

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP